I am a carnivore through and through, give me a delicious steak and I am the happiest human. I went for a few cooking classes a couple of years ago and I learnt how to make yummy fresh salsa and how to cook the perfect steak. I watch a lot of cooking shows and one thing I have learnt is that there are so many different ways to cook the perfect steak– I’ve tried most of them; but my 7 step way works wonderfully for me 🙂
My 7 tips on cooking the best steak:
1. The steak has to be matured, I usually buy my steak a week before cooking it so it can mature in the fridge.
2. The steak has to be room temperature when you cook it.
3. Seasoning is VERY important.
4. I let my steak marinade for at 30 minutes before I cook it.
5. My marinade consists of olive oil, maldon salt and fresh black pepper. Don’t be afraid to use a lot of salt.
6. I only like my steak medium rare, cook each side for 2-3 minutes depending on the thickness, if the steak is extra thick cook for an extra minute on each side.
7. Rest rest rest!!!! You have to rest the steak for half the time it has cooked for.
1 kg rump steak, from your butcher or Woolworths
5 potatoes, parcooked
4 garlic cloves, crushed
For the salsa:
1/2 tin chickpeas
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
1 small red onion, diced
1 handful of fresh basil, finely chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp of Xylitol/brown sugar
1 tsp olive oil
1 griddle pan/BBQ or braai
1 large roasting tray
Preparation 15 minutes
Cooking time 40 minutes
Preheat the oven to 200C and turn the braai/BBQ on.
Marinade the room temperature steaks in olive oi, salt and pepper and set aside.
Parcook the potatoes in the microwave. Place the potatoes on a roasting tray and with a potato masher, smash the potatoes. Then pour a generous amount of olive oil over them with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
Rinse the chickpeas and start chopping all the salsa ingredients, add them to the bowl with the whole chickpeas. To make the dressing , in a seperate bowl mix the olive oil, lemon juice, xylitol/sugar, salt and pepper and set aside before serving.
Once the potatoes have been roasting for 20 minutes, take them out and add the crushed garlic and a little more olive oil, roast for another 10-15 minutes or until crispy.
Turn on the braai or place the griddle pan on the stove on high heat. When the braai has reached 200C. Grill the steak for 2-3 minutes on each side. Once cooked rest for a couple of minutes.
To serve, add the dressing to the chopped ingredients. Then slice the steak about 5 cm thick and top with a tablespoon of salsa per person and enjoy. xxx