Boiling an egg is an art, it seems simple, BUT it’s not!
One badly boiled egg can ruin your life. That is why I am writing this post. After reading this, you should never go back to our over-boiling ways. Adding hard-boiled eggs to your diet adds good fats to your body to keep your heart healthy. Hard-boiled eggs also pack important vitamins to help protect your eyes and keep your bones strong.
A few tips to keep in mind:
- If you keep your eggs in the fridge, always use cold water and bring it up to the boil. If you place cold eggs in boiling water they will crack and become gross.
- Your eggs must be free-range and fresh.
- The grey ring that sometimes appears is actually from too much iron in the water.
Put the eggs in a pan of cold water, making sure you just cover the eggs.
Bring the water to a rolling boil: Set the pan over high heat and bring the water to a boil, uncovered. The water should come to a full, rolling boil (eggs are rolling in the water).
Turn off the heat and cover the pan. As soon as the water comes to a boil, remove the pan from heat and cover the pan. Don’t forget about the pan on the stove and let the eggs boil for too long or they will over cook!
Set your timer for the desired time: Leave the eggs in the covered pan for the right amount of time.
How long? Depends on whether you want soft-boiled or hard-boiled eggs.
Here’s how long each will take:
- For runny soft-boiled eggs (barely set whites): 3 minutes
- For slightly runny soft-boiled eggs: 4 minutes
- For custardy yet firm soft-boiled eggs: 6 minutes
- For firm yet still creamy hard-boiled eggs: 10 minutes
- For very firm hard-boiled eggs: 12 minutes
Tap the cooked eggs gently. After your selected time is up, remove the cooked eggs from the pan and tap gently on the countertop to crack the shell in a few places. Skip this step if your eggs are very soft-boiled with runny yolks or if you’re planning to dye your eggs for Easter.
Place the eggs in a bowl of ice water and leave them there for at least 1 minute.
Peel and eat! When ready to eat, peel the egg and enjoy.